Those cute names that we call each other can sometimes have a special meaning all their own. I just don't know if I could live with myself if I did not explore some of the more popular ones.
- Honey - I have to be honest for the most part my wife only uses this when I need to do something. Remember this pet name is part of the famous object known as the "Honey-Do List." Which as I child I thought was a guide to buying melons. Depending on the severity of the request I am about to get my wife elongates the last syllable accordingly so if I hear "Honnnnnnneeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy" then I know I am about to have to do something I don't want to do.
- Baby - By far the most common, Baby has a tone all it's own. Baby is cute, easy to say, but can also be used as a command to stop doing something. Think about it fellas, how many times have you told your friends to hold your beer while you show them something when all of a sudden the front door opens to your wife yelling "Baby!" and you freeze. Uh-Huh, I thought so.
- Darling - Pretty much the only time I hear this is when I am at Denny's at 2.00 am ordering something bad for me. Sidenote if you have never had Covered and Smothered hash browns, order them!
- Sweetums - This pet name really annoys me. I feel like the only people who should use "Sweetums" must have last names like VanWalderBurger or Eisenburger(of the Manhattan Eisenburgers), and they should have grown up in a Manor. It just reeks of Country Club Royalty.
- Sweetheart - I hear this pet name more with parents referring to their kids so to hears spouses use it makes me hear fiddles in the background, but hey that is just me.
- Dear - Dear feels like the pet name of choice for passive aggressive fights. I mean come on, how many times have you heard someone call another dear without have clenched teeth...
Just to let my readers know, spell check went nuts on this post...