Marriage is a partnership, often times it relies on the agreement between two individuals to not only support one another, but to have one another's back should conflict arise. It is hard to be completely fair to someone we see and interact with every day. As the years progress we tend to see more of the flaws than the successes...
In order to really enjoy and support your partner you have to remember the the three C's. Compliment, Congratulate, and Critique. By the way it is in that order...
TheHusBlog Definition Pause : The Three C's
- Compliment. If you spouse looks wonderful, then tell them so. Make sure you are genuine in your compliment. We so often take for granted the amazing things our spouse does everyday. It can be a challenge to step outside of ourselves to realize how lucky we are to have our partners.
- Congratulate. It is important to celebrate the successes of our partners. Whether it is completing a program of some kind, getting a promotion, or saving the life of a foreign dignitary. Successes should be enjoyed because they are what lifts us up.
- Critique. Certainly there are times when we are hurt, bothered, or even offended by our spouses behavior. In those instances you will have to have a conversation with them about how you perceived the situation and how they perceived it. These conversations should always be fact based, with no name calling, and of course constructive.
- Fake Excitement : I am really a homebody. I like just chilling at home, making some dinner and enjoying a quiet evening. My wife on the other hand loves going out. Most of the time I am agreeable to going out but there are a few random occasions I choose to fake some serious excitement. I do this so that the wife doesn't always feel she is going out with a Sour Sam or a Negative Nick.
- Forget Fights : The real key to the success of any relationship is to let go of anger. It is never fair to have an argument and then continuously bring it up any chance you get. If we have a fight, after it is over I do my best to forget it ever happened.
- Fuck With Her : As we men basically hit the zenith of our maturity at around age 7 I still love to mess with my wife. Whether it is trying to mess with her while she is reading a book, or pulling her back down on the bed 10 times while she is trying to get up I cannot help it.